Saturday 2 May 2015

Royal Philharmonic Orchestra, Cadogan Hall ***


 I do not confess to be a fountain of knowledge as far as classical music is concerned. I find it hard to tell the difference between a good performance and a bad performance. However, I can note the experience of listening to such wonderful music by a full sized orchestra. The lyricism and romanticism of Tchaikovsky and Shostakovich's melodies make it just bliss to experience. My hairs stood on edge during the overture to Romeo and Juliet as the main, famous motif reached it's climax as the full force of the Philarmonic created an extraordinary sound. Shostakovich's piano concerto led me to be astounded at the pianist's hands as they darted across the keys is impressive to say the least. The finale of Tchaikovsky's symphony no.6 'Pathetique' was an ingenious end to an evening, with a pertinent end that is serene and beautiful instead of the typical, brash end that most concerts end with. However, I found the experience of the Cadogan Hall to be quite unsettling. I was part of a school party, none of which talked at the wrong time nor clapped between movements. Despite this, I found that the welcome we received from this hall to be quite cold. Almost immediately after we arrived, we were approached by a member of the front of house staff who inquired to where our supervisors were. I have been to many trips with the school and have always received warm responses from theatres wanting to encourage youth into theatre. Why can't this be the case with classical music? Clearly the effect of youth stereotypes are taking effect on the staff in the prim and proper concert hall. So whilst there was some joyful music, I felt the atmosphere of the venue detracted from the overall experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment