Sunday 3 May 2015

American Buffalo, Whyndham's Theatre ***

American Buffalo. Photography by Johan Persson

 To my great disappointment, I missed the last Mamet play to grace the West End. However, I valued money and common sense over seeing Lindsay Lohan play act (I'm sure she was excellent and it's me being snobby but I didn't want to waste money). Now another Mamet play is here this time led by Henry VIII and Sulley or, as they are occasionally known as, Damien Lewis and John Goodman. American Buffalo tells the story of three men and how greed, loyalty and honour affect them when conducting a heist to steal a nickel. Despite this, the play is rather marvellous. Mamet explores the themes in a concentrated space with only three characters, keeping a narrative whilst also addressing the nature of men in a way that doesn't feel forced. The first Act drags slightly plot wise but the second act rattles along. Each aspect of this production too is excellently executed. Damien Lewis is masterful in the role of Teach; Goodman sturdy yet gentle as Don and Tom Sturridge slightly disarming as Bob. Paul Wills' design provoked gasps when the curtain rose. Daniel Evan's direction brings the most out of each of the cast; tying everything together. However, I left feeling nothing. Each aspect is almost perfect and yet the overall result feels strangely dissatisfying. I have no explanation for this. Perhaps reading the play will help me understand more of the references and metaphors for me to enjoy it more. I hope this production grows on me yet I am left cold by this extremely clever and well produced piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment