Wednesday 18 February 2015

Happy Days, Young Vic ***


People always say with Shakespeare that people should study his plays before seeing them performed. I strongly disagree with this as I believe Shakespeare, if played in the right way, can be accessible to all who see it. However, in the case of Samuel Becket, I think that extensive classes are needed in order to make sense of his plays. I was at 'This Comedian' at the Duchess when a 'lost Becket play' Pointless Anger, Righteous Ire was performed by Arthur Darvil. This involved two men perched in a bin whilst Darvil read stage directions a violently cut a cake. Coming out of Happy Days at the Young Vic, I think that Pointless Anger made more sense. With more time to think about the play, I understand it better but at the time it felt like intellectuals being intellectual whilst looking down at those which didn't understand the clever references or 'nuances of the piece'. However, I can appreciate it more with some distance, especially the admirable performance the ever- wonderous Juliet Stevenson gives. For an actress to be buried up to the neck in sand and give pretty much a one woman show for two hours 7 times a week is astonishing and her Willy also does as well as a man which is only given grunts and murmurs can do. Whilst I love contemporary, experimental theatre, I fear that even I struggled with this piece and, whilst I admire it, I could never engage with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment