Saturday 4 October 2014

Matilda , Cambridge Theatre *****

The cast of Matilda
So many things could have gone wrong when making Matilda into a musical. Despite it's success, a beloved children's classic being adapted into a musical by a man who talks about a critic eating his own face in front of his children. However, the result is just brilliantly, spine tingley good. In fact, it was so good, it gave me a small warmth in my lower intestine. It is the children's show. They are adorable, charming and hilarious and pull off difficult choreography as if it was the most simple thing in the world. It is a masterpiece of the human imagination. This was the second time I have seen this show and was also the second Dahl musical adaptation I had seen. I am going to reassess Charlie and the Chocolate factory but if it had even a tiny proportion of the heart, wit or musicality of Matilda, I may have enjoyed it more. 

No comments:

Post a Comment