Sunday 12 October 2014

Julius Caesar, Shakespeare's Globe ***

The Cast of Julius Caesar
Shakespeare is rarely as fun as this as Dromgoole won me over in the last performance of Caesar and my last Globe production of the season.The show won me over from the start with a puppet show in the groundling's queue giving the background to Shakespeare's errors in the play. This is what Dominic Dromgoole is great at, creating theatre which has atmosphere and excitement. Being the artistic director of the Globe, he understands the Globe the best, making Shakespeare's gaping script errors seem non- existent. Whilst the play has now come to a close, due to cinema screenings next year, I will keep spoilers to a minimum, however, there is a superb interpretation of the text at the end which left me with a huge grin on my face. I don't think Irving's Caesar sets the world alight but the young senate more than make up for it, with Thompson's divisive Anthony played almost perfectly. Having seen the 'Freinds, Romans, Countrymen' soliloquy (not the Carry On one) performed by James McAvoy, I couldn't see Luke Thompson holding a candle to it. Whilst he is not as good, obviously, he still maintains an emotionally driven performance. At times, the pace tended to drop but apart from this, it is certainly a production to remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment