Wednesday 27 August 2014

Wicked, Apollo Victoria ***

The Cast of Wicked
Note: Due to a lack of programmes at the theatre, I do not know the names of any of the actors in the show.

As music theatre is what started me off on my obsession with theatre and the stage, it seems slightly shameful that I have not seen one of the most famous musicals ever. Luckily, thanks to kids go free month, I got the opportunity to go.

The story line is surprisingly deep. It tackles animal rights and racism in a way that engages it's audience. The songs, whilst not my style, are well thought out, however there are very few that progress the plot in any way. Elphaba, naturally was superb and Galinda was reasonably impressive even though some words were not clear. There were great numbers  of references to wizard of Oz if a bit in your face and the ending seemed a bit convoluted. Despite this, I did enjoy myself as, from the response from the audience, did they.

No comments:

Post a Comment