Thursday 7 August 2014

Henry IV Part II, Royal Shakespeare Theatre **

The cast of Henry IV  Part II
Photo by Kwame Lestrade
As I had a week in Stratford, it seemed a good idea to finish what I started at the Globe by seeing part 2 of the Henry IV saga. After the production, everyone was entusiastic about it over different points. My moother was suprised she  could understand the soliloquies; my uncle was impressed by the costumes and my cousin's favorite scene was  Hal and Poins or 'those fit guys' took their tops off. It just shows how Shakespeare can appeal to anyone. For me, whilst this production does not have the life of the Globe production, with Allam giving a better Falstaff than Sher's, it does keep the attention of the audience during the more serious scenes such as the decline of Britton's king which is performed superbly. However, what impressed me most was the set. It is basic with a crack down the middle to emphasise the crack in the kingdom and the rebellion. The main thing that annoyed me was the start where the chorus, Rumour, is in modern day clothes whilst the rest of the show is in period costume! It also gives the programme producers the most contrived piece in a programme that I have ever seen. Overall, this performance has as many things to be enjoyed as to dislike meaning that it never paricularly impressed me. This is not the show to see for a first RSC performance.

No comments:

Post a Comment