Tuesday 30 June 2015

The Comedy Store Players, Shakespeare's Globe ***


You wouldn't normally associate the Globe with being a great comedy venue. However, it strikes the balance between intimacy and vast space where comedians can make real money well. In fact, the lovely summer weather made for a great evening to experience comedy. I have never seen these players block before, even though I have heard a radio programme they recorded and was rather unimpressed and had seen both Paul Merton and Josie Lawrence on numerous radio and television appearances and liked both of them. Their act consists of two hours of games and scenes that are prompted by audience suggestions. This is intensely funny for the first 30 minutes. In fact, I was chuckling all the way through the first half at the clever improvisational skills of the troupe. Paul Merton brought me out in hysterics at times and Neil Mullarky worked the supportive crowd very well, mocking the american accent and PE teachers. However, the gimmick lost it's effect in the second half and whilst a crowd of die- hard fans lapped up their musical version of a Sweedish crime drama and 'Julius Teaser', the repetitive nature of the act took it's toll on me and I began to tire of it. You start to notice how they can tightly control to what extent they improvise and what is in fact recycled from gig to gig. Even Paul Merton failed to keep me from growing weary of these parlour games. So whilst the gimmick works, it needs to be shaken up and revitalized to keep my attention for two hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment