Sunday 15 March 2015

Antigone, Barbican Theatre ***


When I saw Van Hove's last production, it was one of the most incredible experiences I have ever had. His direction was so powerful that a play I had studied to death suddenly seemed fresh and new. So when I found out that he was directing Juliette Binoche in Antigone, I grabbed a ticket as fast as I could.

This is no View from the Bridge. It does not have the same impact yet it is still reasonably powerful with strong direction and design from the Dutch duo. The cast all give strong performances with the exception of Binoche, whose portrayal of Antigone feels fanatical and undignified.The design develops Versweyveld's set for the Young Vic, with video footage from Tal Yarden projected onto  the blank wall. The only bit which jars is the overly cinematic footage of Binoche and Patrick O' Kane which does not fit with the aesthetic of the rest of the piece. Van Hove's direction is on point, showing the work of a true artist. The adaption is also admirable,although towards the end Anne Carson's translation gets slightly confusing. However, this could be to do with role- doubling not being made quite as clear as I would have liked. Overall,whilst it suffers from celebrity casting, Antigone is still an admirable piece of work by the pair from Toneelgroep.

No comments:

Post a Comment